By Lerone Clarke of Clarke & Oliver Ltd.
At Clarke & Oliver PR we are constantly reminding clients of the importance of the systematic management of their web presence, and of the techniques we adopt to continue to maximize their web search results.
Web Search Engine Optimization (SEO) isn’t overly difficult, yes a little tiresome at times however, the rewards are mammoth. Essentially, it is something we should all fully understand if we want our online branches to be totally successful in reaching our intended audience.
We’ve been helping companies launch, re-launch and create effective websites for years and during that period we’ve accumulated 20 easy, practical ideas that you can work through systematically using the suggestions that you think are most relevant to your business. Some are indeed obvious, some peculiar. Some are old tried-and-tested favorites and some new tricks, several are well know techniques.
1. Share. New site launches, or new content, write an introduction and submit it to share sites like Digg, Reddit and Now Public. Submit your site to DMOZ.org. It may take a little time, but it is worth it
2. Create multiple profiles referring people to your central website. It is essential to update/post to these on a regular basis so they don’t look redundant. Try: Linkedin, a Yahoo Group, Facebook, MySpace, StumbleUpon add the most successful to your web home page. You can even place a free ad for your company on Gumtree
3. Blogs are a very easy way to ensure your name is constantly pushed up the rankings, Twitter is the most popular and/or create a Technorati account and "claim" your blog. Find quality and relevant blogs, sign-up and leave a comment (with a link back to your site!) Ask bloggers and other web site owners to review your site and/or products
4. Directories, put your site forward to free search engine friendly directories. An comprehensive list can be found here. Avoid paying to submit your site to search engines – it is a waste of money
5. Write Articles related to your site/industry and submit it to free article sites, even pitch it to industry web pages. Become a leading authority/expert in your field!
6. Friends and Colleages, do not underestimate the impact simply forwarding people to your site can have. Ask them to ‘proof read’ and ask for their valued feedback
7. Competitions, give away an iphone, it is an excellent lure to generate visitors and word-of-mouth ‘noise’ about your site
8. Contact, offer as many as possible additional avenues for people to contact you. MSN, Skype, Yahoo
9. Advertise your site on Craigslist. It's free, relevant and localised
10. Google, if possible create an XML sitemap of your site and submit it to Google
11. Affiliate, sign up with an affiliate programme to sell your product, you’ll benefit from their marketing also!
12. Publish Newsletters, on your site Contact Page ask visitors if they would like to receive your newsletter
13. Video, YouTube and Google Video are excellent portals on which to launch a viral campaign or an ad for yourself
14. Downloads, incorporate downloadable content on your site, ensure it's not manufacturer specific - so mp3 rather than wma
15. Learn about CSS! It's the new HTML!
16. Wikipedia, contribute to related subject areas
17. Donate Money to a charity and most will place a link on their site back to you
18. Syndicate Content, use RSS feeds. Submit your RSS feeds to aggregator sites like FeedBurner, Squidoo, Feedboy, Jordomedia, FeedBomb, FeedCat, rssmad, feeddirectory and feedfury. Stolen from DigitalPoint
19. Branding, add your web address to EVERYTHING!
20. Regularly update your site, use Anchor Links and Key Words that refer back to some of your USPs
Make your marketing an SEO winner by signing up for the UTalkMarketing SEO Skills Accelerator.
Check out 12ahead, our brand new platform
covering the latest in cutting-edge digital marketing and creative technology from around the globe.
12ahead identifies emerging trends and helps
you to understand how they can apply to modern-day companies.
We believe 12ahead can put you and your
business 12 months ahead of the competition. Sign up for a free trial today.